Anniversary of Americans With Disabilities Act: July 26, 2019
PROFILE AMERICA FACTS FOR FEATURES Compliments of the U.S. Census Bureau: CB19-FF.06
JULY 1, 2019
On July 26, 1990, President George H.W. Bush signed into law the Americans with Disabilities Act, which prohibits discrimination against people with disabilities in employment, transportation, public accommodations, commercial facilities, telecommunications, and state and local government services.
This Facts for Features provides a demographic snapshot of the U.S. population with a disability and examines various services available to them. The statistics come from various U.S. Census Bureau censuses and surveys, covering different periods of time.
The following facts are made possible by the invaluable responses to the Census Bureau’s surveys. We appreciate the public’s cooperation as we continuously measure America’s people, places and economy.
Did You Know?
Total civilian noninstitutionalized population with a disability in the United States. Source: 2017 American Community Survey
The percentage of the civilian noninstitutionalized population in West Virginia in 2017 with a disability — among the highest rates in the nation. Utah, at 9.6 percent, had the lowest rate. Source: 2017 American Community Survey
Total civilian noninstitutionalized population ages 18 to 64 employed with a disability. Source: 2017 American Community Survey
Median earnings in the past 12 months (in 2017 inflation adjusted dollars) of the civilian noninstitutionalized population age 16 and over with earnings and a disability. Source: 2017 American Community Survey
More on Disability
- Employment Status by Disability Status and Type
- Selected Economic Characteristics for the Civilian Noninstitutionalized Population by Disability Status
See a detailed profile on the population with a disability from the 2017 American Community Survey. Statistics include:
- Hearing difficulty by age.
- Vision difficulty by age.
- Cognitive difficulty by age.
- Ambulatory difficulty by age.
- Self-care difficulty by age.
- Independent living difficulty by age.
Related News Products
Past Facts for Features
- Facts for Features: Anniversary of Americans With Disabilities Act: July 26, 2018
- Facts for Features: Anniversary of Americans With Disabilities Act: July 26, 2017
- Facts for Features: Anniversary of Americans With Disabilities Act: July 26, 2016
- Do People With Disabilities Earn Equal Pay
- The Occupations of Workers with Disabilities
- The Age and Disability Paradox
- The Relationship Between Health Conditions and the Core Disability Question Set
- Working With a Disability (2018)
- How Common Are Specific Disabilities by Age? (2017)
- Aging-Accessible Homes (2017)
- Prevalence of Disabilities for Ages 18+ (2016)
- American with Disabilities: 2014
- Older Americans With a Disability: 2008-2012